Minutes – March 2016

The CVHOA met at 7 p.m., March 9, 2016, with Scott Auger presiding.  Present were Waite Warren, Gary Bulman, Lauren Earnhardt, Joan Purvis, Mary Hinson, Erin Loftus, Tucker Bullock, and J. G. DePoy.

The minutes of the January 12, 2016 board meeting were read and business from that meeting was reviewed, with updates given by members involved.

Waite reported that beaver activity still appears to have ceased on the pond.  Gary reported that he has had several conversations with Clint Johnson about repairs to the minor erosion in the channel (spillway).  Clint indicated that he would try to stop by and assess the situation, but he has not had time.  Gary also spoke with Clint about re-grading the low-lying area near the intersection of Coronado Way and Warren Avenue.   Clint is aware of both trouble spots, and Gary will get back in contact with him to follow up.

Zsolt was unable to attend, but in an email he let us know that, “It is official.  The USGS (federal government) accepted the proposed name of  ‘Maynard Pond’.  So forever the location will be acknowledged as such in the US Geographic Names database.  I can forward the news to Town of Cary Mapping department, but wanted the Board to learn of it first.  So the feds, the state, the county, and town should all be on the same page with the acknowledged name.”  Zsolt also emailed that he will be following up on the trees below the dam and will be hiring a crew to do the tree work discussed at the January meeting.  He would also like to have a light duty Spring Cleanup once the initial spring growth has come in around the pond.

Scott reported that there has been no additional contact with the Town of Cary regarding the pond.  He recommended that mid-year we should check the Town of Cary budget to see if anything has in fact been allocated for their “due diligence” to assess the pond and issues related to it.  Scott said that if the Town ultimately declares it has no interest in Maynard Pond going forward, CVHOA should request a letter from the Town stating so in writing and stating that we are no longer obligated to provide public access to the property.  The question of posting No Trespassing and Private Property signage was again discussed, but it was generally conceded that doing so would put us in the position of having to enforce the posted bans, which we are not at present equipped to do.  This issue can be re-visited at future meetings.

Lauren provided the Treasurer’s Report and the Approved Operating Budget for 2016.  As of 2/29/2016, the General Fund balance was $4,480.78 and the Money Market (Repair) Fund balance was $15,657.76, for a total of $20, 138.54.  Dues notices went out in January and will go out again in June.  A motion was made and carried to approve the Treasurer’s Report.

Erin wishes to remain “Acting” Secretary for the time being.  There was some discussion as to whether her signature should be added to the bank’s roster of those who can sign CVHOA checks.  Mary Hinson, former Secretary, is still an active board member and is able and willing to perform this function if needed.

The next meeting was scheduled for Wednesday, May 11 at 7 p.m.  Scott again expressed the need for a Vice President and asked for help enlisting someone for the office.  We still need to set a date for a General Membership Meeting in the spring; this will be added to the agenda for May.

Scott opened the floor for discussion of the idea, raised at the January meeting by Tucker, to transition the CVHOA from a homeowners’ association into a 501(c)(3) non-profit, with a new name such as the Maynard Pond Preservation Society.  Joan’s copy of the original articles of incorporation helped us clarify that the CVHOA was structured at the outset as a non-profit corporation.  Gary suggested that Lauren ask CVHOA’s tax preparer for some advice about our financial status and what might be involved in changing it.  Scott asked Tucker if he would also investigate further and report back at the May meeting.  There was general agreement that this is an avenue we’d like to pursue but that we need to learn more about it.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:00 p.m.

Minutes – January 2016

The CVHOA met at 7 p.m., January 12, 2016, with Scott Auger presiding.  Present were Zsolt Nagy, Waite Warren, Gary Bulman, William Earnhardt, Joan Purvis, Erin Loftus, Tucker Bullock, J. G. DePoy, and Joanne Reid.

The minutes of the November 10, 2015 board meeting were read, emended, and approved.

Waite and Zsolt reported that there seems to be no new beaver activity on the pond.  Prior to the holidays there was beaver evidence at the old spillway, but the most recent round of trapping seems to have resolved the problem for now.  Muskrats have been using the abandoned beaver den.

Gary reported that engineer Bill Daniel assessed the minor erosion in the channel.  No major repair is required, just some re-armoring of the affected areas.  This is not an emergency, but the erosion will worsen if not remedied.  Gary will try to get an estimate from Clint Johnson within the next two weeks.  William Earnhardt mentioned that the state’s annual inspection of the dam occurred December 1st and no infractions or major problems were found.

The low-lying area near the intersection of Coronado Way and Warren Ave was discussed.  The sinkhole and the ponding that occurs along the road are indicative of a larger drainage problem in that area.  The sinkhole needs to be back-filled, and the whole area needs to be re-graded.  Zsolt suggested that we should have Clint Johnson provide an estimate for this work as well as the channel erosion repairs.  The Town of Cary has been contacted by residents in the past about the ponding in the road, but claims this as a landscape problem not within the Town’s scope of responsibility.

Scott reported on the Cary Town Council meeting he attended in December, where the Maynard Pond property was discussed.  Council members said that in mid-2016 they would consider a possible 2017 budget item to do “due diligence” to assess the pond and issues related to it.  One council member said that our neighborhood is “ripe for redevelopment.”  Scott reported that Council Member Steve Brown said that CVHOA is “probably not” obligated to the Town to provide public access to the pond.  Scott said that in terms of liability, we might be better off posting No Trespassing and Private Property signage.  He asked that everyone consider this change ahead of the next meeting so we can discuss it further.

Will provided the Treasurer’s Report, reviewed 2015 expenditures, and submitted a Proposed Operating Budget for 2016.  Last year we came out about $900 ahead because of new memberships.   Upcoming expenditures were discussed.  Zsolt reported on landscaping needs for 2016, including grass-cutting, maintenance of the pond’s perimeter, and tree removal.   Several small fallen trees in the channel and a huge dead tree by the dam need to be removed, preferably before the large tree becomes hazardous.  Zsolt has an estimate of $2900 from Arborex ($1500 for the huge tree, $1400 for the others).  There was discussion of the landscaping budget and how best to allocate funds for general maintenance versus tree removal.  Ultimately the Proposed Operating Budget for 2016 was approved as submitted, with $4900 allocated for Landscaping.  The tree removal will be handled as a separate special expenditure from the General Fund.  A motion to allocate $2900 for tree removal was made, seconded, and carried.

Zsolt provided a CD with Clint Johnson’s images of the dam repair and gave it to William Earnhardt for use on the CVHOA website.  Zsolt also submitted draft copies of the 2016 Maynard Pond Landscape Maintenance Plan, to be discussed and approved at the March meeting.  “Hot spot” erosion sites near the benches at the dam entrance and near the grand pine will need to be discussed in the future.  Beaver dam remediation might also be needed.  Zsolt plans to do winter cleanup around the pond this Saturday in case others are able to join him.

The next meeting was scheduled for Wednesday, March 9 at 7 p.m.  Scott expressed the need for a Vice President and asked for help enlisting someone for the office.  We also need to set a date for a General Membership Meeting in the spring; this will be added to the agenda for March.

Scott opened the floor for discussion.  Tucker proposed transitioning the CVHOA from a homeowners’ association into a 501(c)(3) non-profit, with a new name such as the Maynard Pond Preservation Society.  This might give the organization broader appeal, help widen membership, and possibly make it easier to collaborate with the Town of Cary (which is wary of engaging with private HOAs).  The idea generated a lot of interest.  Scott requested further research on the legal and financial implications of such a change.  Discussion will continue at the March meeting.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:30 p.m.

Minutes – July 2015

The CVHOA met on July 14, 2015, with Scott Auger presiding. Present for the meeting were Gary Bulman, Zsolt Nagy, William Earnhardt, Waite Warren, Mary Hinson, Cecil Hinson, and Joan Purvis.

The minutes of the April 28, 2015, board meeting were read and approved.

The treasurer’s report was reviewed and approved. The General Fund balance was $2,542.78, the Money Market fund was $15,655.67, for a total of $18,198.45. The annual insurance premium of 1,046.05 has been paid.

Zsolt reported a fallen tree below the dam, which could become an erosion issue. The fabric liner does not completely cover the needed area and an estimate for resolving this problem will be obtained. Poison ivy will be sprayed and small trees will be cleared from the spillway. Grass on the dam area needs to be cleared. The curly tree has propagated and will be planted. A cleanup will be scheduled for a Saturday in the near future, with a second Saturday in case of weather issues.

Discussion regarding an agenda item on the Cary Town Council meeting covered questions surrounding Don Frantz’s meeting with the board. He brought the item to the council noting that the Coronado Village pond is classified as a storm water retention area. It was noted that some cities have fees associated with arrangements for taking over these areas and discussion included how we would obtain the consent of homeowners and manage such a partnership. It was emphasized that this question is just in the exploration phase and there is no immediate need for the town to take over the pond

Since the Labor Day holiday falls on September 7, the next board meeting was scheduled for Tuesday, September 15, 2015. The meeting adjourned at 8:00 pm.

Minutes – April 2015

The CVHOA met on April 28, 2015, with Scott Auger presiding. Present for the meeting were Gary Bulman, Lauren and William Earnhardt and James, Waite Warren, Mary Hinson, Cecil Hinson, and Joan Purvis.

The minutes of the March 11, 2015, board meeting were read and approved.

The treasurer’s report was reviewed and approved. The General Fund balance was $4,824.83, the Money Market fund was $15,654.89, for a total of $20,479.72. Dues notices will be sent out by Vickie in July

Zsolt will be asked to check below the dam for any clean-up work as needed and Scott will check for any downed trees. It was noted that there is some shore erosion on the Ralph Street side near the bench.

Cecil reported that fishing at the end of the pond is prohibited as this is a spawning area for fish. He will procure a sign for that area with fishing restrictions.

Scott reported on feedback from Don Frantz following his meeting with the board on March 11. The board must request specific assistance from the town of Cary regarding dredging, designation as a recreational area, and other issues. Scott will draft an example request and bring to the board for review.

The next board meeting was scheduled for Tuesday, July 14, 2015. The meeting adjourned at 8:00 pm.

Minutes – March 2015

The CVHOA met on March 11, 2015, with Scott Auger presiding. Present for the meeting were Gary Bulman, Lauren Earnhardt, William Earnhardt, Waite Warren, Vickie Barnes, Mary Hinson, Cecil Hinson, and Joan Purvis.

Don Frantz, member of the Cary Town Council, was a guest at the beginning of the meeting at Scott Auger’s invitation. The board felt a meeting with Don would provide an opportunity to present an overview of our efforts to maintain the lake and the difficulties we are encountering due to limited voluntary membership. At present CVHOA is able to meet its obligations with regard to insurance coverage, mowing and landscape, and small maintenance needs. However, any emergency or large scale repair (i.e. dredging to remove silt) would be beyond the capability of our budget.

Don had reviewed documents related to Maynard Pond and the board filled in the history of the CVHOA purchase and organization to maintain the area. The board will discuss various options including approaching the Town of Cary to take over the property. Don will look into any options available through the town. He did note that grant monies are available through various environmental and conservation organizations and suggested that the board look into this area. He will attend a future meeting and the board voted to continue to work with him in planning for the future.

Following the meeting with Don Frantz, the board discussed long term plans for maintenance of the lake and possible future problems. The board unanimously approved a motion to continue to work with Don on future plans and issues.

Minutes for the board meeting on January 14, 2015 were read and approved. The treasurer’s report was reviewed and approved. The General Fund balance was $1,703.83, the Money Market fund was $15,654.37, for a total of $17,358.20. The Operating Budget for 2015 was approved.

The next board meeting was scheduled for Tuesday, April 28th as several board members will be away during May. The meeting adjourned at 8:30 pm.